Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I am an Artist....and a Digital Media Professional.

Three weeks into the new semester, and I am over the halfway point of my Interactive Media MFA candidacy.

The question of my identity as a creative individual continues to straddle the line of art and digital media...are they interchangeable...opposite...complimentary?

Within the School of Visual Arts and Design at UCF, faculty entrenched in the disciplines of Art and Digital Media also seem to struggle with this question as I write.  The administration has recently merged the Art department and the Digital Media department into one school.  Sculpture vs. Java programming, Oil Paintings vs. Photoshop, Installations vs. 3-D Computer Animation.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a battle but rather a joint venture.  Maybe I can be an artist and a digital media professional.  Both of these titles being considerably broad terms.

I am both and launch this blog with a goal to share with you my creative journey in such mediums as photography, digital ethnography, and multi-media, public art.  Ultimately, the story is my medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment